Header image for Visitors
Visitor and Visa Information

If You Are Traveling By Air
If you are traveling by Air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda, you must present a valid passport.

If you are a U.S. citizen looking for information on passports, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.

If you are travelling by land or sea
If you are traveling by Land or Sea (including cruises and ferries), effective June 1 2009, travelers must present a passport or other approved secure document denoting citizenship and identity for all land and sea travel into Canada.

Enhanced Driver's Licenses (EDLs) have been formally identified as acceptable documentation requirements for land and sea crossings. If you are a US citizen and a State resident you are eligible to purchase an Enhanced Driver License (EDL) which will meet the requirements for proof of citizenship to re-enter the U.S. from Canada and Mexico by land or sea.

Visa Information
Before you apply for the visa you require in order to visit Canada (See below: "Links to Visa Information"), you should request a letter of invitation from the IMCC Conference by emailing the conference coordinators at: IMCC2011@conbio.org. Your letter of invitation will be emailed to you as soon as your registration is processed.

Please note that you must register for the Congress and pay your registration fee before you can receive the letter of invitation. Conference registration commences on line on January 15, 2011. Proof of payment is one of the requirements to apply for the visa.

Links to Visa information
To find out if you need a visa to enter Canada, please visit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

For more information on applying for a visa to enter Canada, please click here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp

Please note that all applicants for a temporary resident visa must satisfy CIC that they are genuine visitors and they will be participating in the conference event or meeting.

How long will it take for a visa application to be processed?
You must review the visa requirements and apply early. To allow adequate time for processing, applications for temporary resident visas must be filed at a visa office abroad well in advance of the intended visit. In some instances, the visa office may not be in the applicant's country. A list of visa offices abroad can be found at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp

What if my application for a visa is refused?
The final decision to grant a visa lies with the visa officer. Once an application has been refused, we cannot overturn the officer's decision.

Traveling with minors
For children age 18 or under wishing to enter Canada, please visit:

For further information about traveling with children please visit