Subject: Botany in Action Fellowship Call for Proposals
Phipps Conservatory is now accepting proposals for it 2019 Botany in Action Fellowship!
The Botany in Action (BIA) Fellowship program at Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens fosters the development of the next generation of plant-based scientists who are committed, first, to excellent research, and second, to educational outreach. Open to Ph.D. students enrolled at U.S. graduate institutions and conducting plant-based scientific research, the program provides each fellow with: 1) $5,000 for use towards research-related expenses at sites in the U.S. or abroad*, 2) an all-expenses-paid trip to Phipps to engage in science outreach training and opportunities to translate and communicate their research to non-scientific, public audiences through written, visual and/or oral means, and 3) subsequent opportunities to connect their research with the public through programs, exhibits and other outreach venues.
Research Priority Areas (listed in no particular order):
- Ethnobotany, with special interest in plant use for physical and/or psychological well-being;
- Diversity and conservation, particularly in regional (southwestern Pennsylvania and adjacent states) and tropical forests;
- Landscape and brownfield restoration, particularly in plant-based ecosystem services;
- Sustainable landscapes; and
- Interdisciplinary plant-based research at the intersection of human and environmental health.
For 2019, special consideration is given to the following areas (listed in no particular order):
- Ethnobotany and/or plant-based conservation in Cuba or surrounding islands or the Pacific Islands (Polynesia, Micronesia, and Melanesia);
- Plant-based ecosystem services for landscape and brownfield restoration;
- Sustainable landscapes in the U.S., particularly applicable to southwestern Pennsylvania and adjacent states; and
- Interdisciplinary plant-based research at the intersection of human and environmental health
All proposal materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. EST on Fri., Jan. 11, 2019.
For full details and proposal guidelines, visit our website:
Dr. Maria Wheeler-Dubas <email@example.com>
Monday, November 26, 2018