Header image for Canada Entry

Canada Entry Requirements

Citizens of certain countries and territories need a visa to visit or transit through Canada. Others may need an electronic travel authorization (eTA). Please be sure you are up-to-date on Canada's entry requirements, as some laws have recently changed. The links below help answer questions about the particular requirements. U.S. citizens are not required to obtain a visa or an eTA.

If you need an invitation letter to obtain a visa or eTA to travel to IMCC4, please contact Lori Strong. Please include any specific requirements of the invitation letter.

What you need to visit Canada

To visit Canada, you will need to meet some basic requirements, such as:

  • have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
  • be in good health,
  • have no criminal or immigration-related convictions,
  • convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country,
  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit, and
  • have enough money for your stay. (The amount of money you will need can vary. It depends on things such as how long you will stay, and whether you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives.)

You may also need a:

As of March 15, 2016, travellers with passports from eTA-required countries who enter Canada by air will need an eTA. If you need an eTA, you should get it when you plan your trip. Do not wait for the last minute to apply, and travel to Canada with the passport you used to get your eTA.

Travellers with passports from visa-required countries and territories need a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) to enter Canada.

If you are unsure if you need a visa or an eTA, view the entry requirements by country.

For more information, view the Visit Canada page from the Government of Canada.