As SCB members follow the news on COVID-19 and the guidelines and policies implemented by their respective institutions in response to the disease, the Society wants to share its plan for continued operations during the current outbreak.
SCB staff follow recommendations of local health agencies in the Washington, DC region and are working remotely. Remote work does not affect the day-to-day operations of the Society or our ability to serve members. Keeping SCB operations running is critical and we seek to minimize risks that threaten to interrupt the services we provide.
SCB Group Congresses in 2020
SCB Groups update members related to changes to scheduled congresses on their respective congress websites. Decisions are based on profiles that fit their particular circumstances (i.e. event time, location, venue, and travel restrictions, attendee base, etc). Groups follow recommendations from the agencies like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) and the local, state and national public health divisions whose jurisdictions include cities / regions hosting Group events.
Please see below for the current status of SCB Group meetings in 2020 and links to the congress website for each Group.
SCB Group Congress Websites
- The Latin America & Caribbean Section meeting LACA 2020 has been moved from an in-person meeting in Puebla, Mexico in early July to a virtual meeting to be held in conjunction with Universidad Autónoma de Puebla. The LACA 2020 planning committee is working on scheduling the new dates for the meeting. Visit the LACA 2020 website for more information.
- The SCB North America Section is organizing the 2020 North America Congress for Conservation Biology (NACCB 2020) in Denver, Colorado, USA from 26-31 July 2020. Visit the NACCB 2020 website for updates on the current status of the meeting.
- SCB Marine Section cancelled its sixth International Marine Conservation Congress (IMCC6) in Kiel, Germany from 24-27 August 2020. Visit the IMCC6 for updates on next steps as the Section weighs the viability of alternative options.
- The SCB Oceania Section had planned to hold its meeting (SCBO 2020) in conjunction with the Hawaii Conservation Alliance (HCA) in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA from 31 August - 3 September. While HCA will continue with the meeting in a virtual format, the Oceania Section will not particpate and is working with HCA on a new meeting to take place after 2020. Visit the SCBO 2020 page on the SCB Oceania website for more information.
- The Conservation Marketing & Engagement Working Group meeting Consmark 2020 is scheduled to take place in St. Petersburg, Florida, USA this 22 - 24 October. This meeting is currently scheduled with no changes, though the working group is prepared to host the meeting virtually, if necessary. Visit the Consmark 2020 website for the latest news.