SCB is excited to announce the call for nominations for regional service awards that honor individuals or institutions for outstanding contributions to biodiversity conservation.
Hosted by SCB’s Sections and Working Groups, SCB’s Regional Service Awards Program recognizes individuals, groups, or institutions for distinguished service in any field associated with conservation biology and whose work furthers SCB’s mission to advance the science and practice of conserving biodiversity.
Eight SCB Groups are accepting nominations now through 31 May from members and other conservation professionals.
Please see below for more information about each participating SCB and their respective awards and for the nominations form (self-nominations are accepted).
Nominees should be members of the Group that is presenting the award for which they’re nominated (or be conducting conservation work in the Group’s region / topic):
2022 SCB Regional Service Awards
Regional Distinguished Service Awards (DSA)
Presented for distinguished service in conservation to individuals, groups or institutions who work or are based in the region presenting the award or who have directly contributed to conservation in the region.
- The Africa Section's Distinguished Service Award is known as the Young Women in Conservation Biology Award (YWCB).
- The Asia Section's Distinguished Service Award is open to conservationists who either reside in the Asia region or have directly contributed to conservation in the Asia region.
- The Latin American and Caribbean Section's Distinguished Service Award is open to conservationists who either reside in the LACA region or have directly contributed to conservation in the LACA region.
- The Oceania Section's Distinguished Service Award is open to conservationists who either reside in the Oceania region or have directly contributed to conservation in the Oceania region.
- The Conservation Marketing Working Group's award for distinguished service is known as the Building Nature’s Brand Award (Brandy Award). The Brandy Award will be presented at the Conservation Marketing Conference in 2023.
Regional Early Career Conservationist Awards
Presented for achievements in conservation by professionals early in their careers (no more than 10 years since leaving school). SCB does not apply an age criteria to this award to enable eligibility for individuals who may have come into conservation as a second career.
- The Social Sciences Working Group's Early Career Conservationist Award is open to global conservationists whose contributions reflect the principles of the Social Sciences Working Group, and are early in their career (no more than 10 years since leaving school).
- The Conservation Genetics Working Group's Early Career Conservationist Award is open to global conservationists whose contributions advance conservation genetics practice and research, and are early in their career (no more than 10 years since leaving school). The award will be presented this July at the North America Congress for Conservation Biology.
Edward T. LaRoe Memorial Award
The LaRoe Award is meant to recognize the innovative application of science to resource management and policy.
- The North America Section will present the Edward T. LaRoe Memorial Award at the North America Congress for Conservation Biology in Reno, Nevada. This award is given to an individual who has been a leader in translating principles of conservation biology into real-world conservation. Preference is given to employees of government agencies or individuals who have spent at least part of their careers in public service.
How to Apply
You may nominate yourself or someone else, including groups/institutions.
All nominations require two letters of recommendation. To apply
Complete the SCB 2022 SCB Regional Service Awards Nominations Form by 31 May 2022.
Do you have questions about nominations or the application process? Send an email to your Group's representative via the Regional Awards Page.